Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Sleep? What is sleep?

Where was your five-year-old at 6:20 a.m. today? Mine was shirtless, kneeling next to me on the bed. She had that creepy-kid look on her face ala, "The Shining."  Then she taps me on the shoulder, suddenly wide awake as I lay there about 75% asleep.

"If you go to the app store on your phone, computer or iPad you can download Disney Junior games. Dad, do you know what an app is?

I suddenly wondered if there was an app that would keep pre-schoolers in a deep sleep until at least 8 a.m.  I couldn't even answer that.  I just told her to go back to bed.

"I can't! I'm hungry," she huffed. "Will you make me some cinnamon rolls?"

That is how my morning started and also what I get for sleeping on the side of the bed closest to the door.  At that point I wished I was four again and would soon be forced to take an afternoon siesta.  I love that little girl more than almost anything, but I wished she loved sleep just as much.

Alas, as I eventually headed out the door to work, with Ollie's snot on both my shirt and pants, guaranteeing a part of him would be with me all day, I knew there would be no nap.  Where did I think I was, Spain?

Once I arrived home it was a night of "normal" craziness that only a house with three children less than seven could provide, but nothing out of the ordinary.  However, I am quickly learning Mitch may not have the humble gene.

As I was talking to him about soccer camp, he was telling me there were a lot of girls there.  He said three of them liked him.  I asked him how he knew.

I might be biased, but yeah, he's pretty much a soccer stud!


"Because they kept coming near me when they were dribbling," he said.  "Oh, and they were flashing their eyes at me because I'm so good at soccer."

Whoa! Time to back the cocky train up.  We had words about how we don't go around talking like that, but in the back of my mind I couldn't help but be proud of his confidence.

Then, the young stud, who claimed he had girls flocking to him, asked his mommy and daddy to come upstairs and tuck him in to bed.  Now, that's a little more like it.

Are your kids this crazy?!




No comments:

Post a Comment